School Library Media Center
The School Library Media Center implements classroom assignments by collaborating with teachers to meet curriculum needs. The library strives to motivate students to be life-long learners by providing an environment conducive to learning and reading.
The Library Media Specialist updates reading materials regularly to keep current with the interests of students and teachers. The library offers enrichment to make homework, research papers, and all other school assignments possible through printed material and digital resources.
A citation is a reference to the source of an idea, information or image. It identifies data such as the author, title, and publication format. There are many reasons why it is important to cite the resources when doing a research paper. Every source of information that is not one’s own work must be cited. Remember…not to cite is a violation of someone else’s intellectual or creative property!
Proper Citation Should Give:
- Credit to authors whose works were used (whether quoted or not).
- Access for others to locate the original source of information.
- Evidence of one’s research.
- Proof of not plagiarizing.
The recent update in citation formatting by the Modern Language Association to MLA 8 has many required and recommended style changes. To avoid confusion and keep consistency York Catholic has designed a York Catholic Research & Style Manual for students. Students should always refer to this manual when doing their works cited page. If citation generators and database formatted citations are used it is the students responsibility to make any necessary changes to meet the YC standard.
Click here for York Catholic’s MLA Style Guide.
Click here for York Catholic’s APA Style Guide (science classes only)
Benefits of Reading:
Why You Should Read Every Day
- Mental Stimulation
- Stress Reduction
- Vocabulary Expansion
- Memory Improvement
- Stronger Analytical Thinking Skills
- Improved Focus and Concentration
- Better Writing Skills
- Free Entertainment
All the resources below can be accessed from school or home by using assigned password access. For security reasons, the passwords cannot be posted. The access procedure and passwords are in the library or you can email the Library Media Specialist for that information.
- EasyBib EDU – a citation and research management tool that will create a variety of citation formats, evaluate websites, and digitally generate and organize notes and outlines.
- Credo Reference – Credo offers unlimited access to a wide selection of full text reference books on every subject for research projects. Special features include mind mapping and study guides, as well as images, audio file, video and full text articles on a variety of subjects.
ProQuest- e-library Academic Research – This platform has advanced content in multiple subject areas at a higher thinking level.*
ProQuest- e-library Guided Research – This platform has advanced content in a number of source types: newspaper, scholarly journals, and magazines.*
- Salem Press – Salem Press is a database of reference works on literature, history, biography, the social sciences, and science. Be aware that research topics are purchase individually and one purchased are listed on the content page.
- World Book – World Book Online offers a diverse suite of learning sites for every age, ability, and interest to suit the needs of students and advanced researchers. This database also includes atlas, dictionary, and encyclopedia references in English and Spanish. The E-Book feature contains numerous non-fiction books on a diverse range of topics with downloading capability to be read on a variety of devices.
- Library World Card Catalog – database of all books and circulation materials in the library.
Free Online Resources: These databases are free and require no passwords!
York County Libraries – Sign up for a free library card and get access to free e-book downloads and printed source information.
Free Library of Philadelphia – Sign up for free library card if you live in PA. Besides free downloads it gives you citation information and many other options for research.
Open Culture – Free educational media including language lessons, audio books, and movies.
Purdue Owl – contains writing resources and instructional material to aid in research and citation needs.
College Writing Guide – Use this guide to refresh your knowledge of basic grammar rules, common writing pitfalls, types of academic writing and helpful writing techniques for college preparation.
Ultimate Guide to Academic Writing: 100+ Useful Resources – This guide contains some of the best resources to help organize and structure your academic writing assignments.
PBS Learning Media – media-on-demand service featuring interactives, images, videos, audio files, and more with lesson plans, background essays, and discussion questions. Sign-up for a free account!
Bibme – a free citation creator and bibliography generator that supports MLA 8 and APA formatting. Extra features include a plagiarism and grammar checker and title page creator. *Please refer to your YC Research & Style Manual to be sure citations are in the correct format.
Knightcite – a free citation generator hosted by the Calvin College Hekman Library that formats bibliographic information per academic standards for use in research papers and scholarly works. *Please refer to your YC Research & Style Manual to be sure citations are in the correct format.