- Curriculum includes academic, college prep, honors,
and advanced placement levels of study
- Additional college dual credit options available
in social studies, foreign language, and business
- Access to Virtual High School offering 200+ unique online courses to supplement school’s face-to-face offerings
- Current seniors’ average SAT scores well above
both state and national averages
- Current average class size is 20 and current
student/teacher ratio is 14/1
- Academic Assistance Center (AAC) serving students with documented learning challenges.
- Weekly ineligibility/failure check for
- Dedicated, certified faculty with 46% holding
an advanced degree
- Art and music programs
- Online access to homework and grades with Vision Student Information System
- All students are required to carry six major subjects plus required minors such as Physical Education and Health.
- 25 credits are necessary for graduation.
- Requirements are as follows:
Religion 4.0 credits
English 4.0 credits
Science 3.0 credits
Math 3.0 credits
Social Studies 3.0 credits
Arts/Humanities 2.0 credits
Electives 5.0 credits
Physical Education 1.0 credit
In its efforts to lead students to academic achievement, the administration and faculty of York Catholic High School observes the following academic criteria for student participation in extra-curricular activities:
- If a student is failing in more than one major subject in a week, he/she is ineligible to participate in any extra-curricular activities or events during the upcoming week, Monday through Sunday. If by the end of the one-week ineligibility period a student continues to have two or more failing grades, his/her ineligibility is extended for the next one-week period.
- If a student fails two major subjects for any quarter and/or for the first semester, he/she will be ineligible until the first ineligibility list of the new quarter and he/she will lose cafeteria privileges for the next quarter.
- If a student fails three or more major subjects in a quarter and/or for the first semester, he/she will remain ineligible through the duration of the new quarter.
- If a student is ineligible three or more times for the duration of a school activity (marching band, musical, sports season, etc.), he/she will be removed from said activity.
Average SAT Scores
|2020 School Year||Critical
|York Catholic Average||563||546||1109|
***97% of the Class of 2020 took the SATs.
Advanced Placement Program
- Current AP Courses: Biology, Calculus, Chemistry, English Literature, Language, and U.S. History. All students in AP courses must take the AP exam.
- Additional accelerated and honors courses are offered in English, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, and World Language.
- 87% of the students taking an AP exam scored a 3 or higher in 2019-20; 31% scored a 4 or higher; 23% scored a 5.
- Four equal marking periods.
- Numerical mark is used.
- 70 is the passing grade.
- A non-weighted GPA is based on all major subjects. All students carry a yearly and cumulative GPA based on percent grades. A weighted GPA is based on a quality point system and is calculated based on the difficulty of the courses.
F Below 70
York Catholic is a part of the Diocese of Harrisburg school system and is fully accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. In addition, York Catholic retains membership in the National Catholic Education Association and the National Association of Secondary School Principals.
The 2020 graduates of York Catholic High School received college scholarships offers totaling more than 11 million dollars. Over 71% of the Class of 2020 were awarded scholarships. The following is a list of colleges, universities, and military institutions that extended invitations of acceptance to the Class of 2020:
- Albright College
- Alvernia University
- Belmont University
- Bloomsburg University
- Bucknell University
- Coastal Carolina University
- Delaware County Community College
- Dickinson College
- Duquesne University
- East Carolina University
- Elizabethtown College
- Florida Southern College
- Franklin & Marshall College
- Harrisburg Area Community College
- High Point University
- Johnson & Wales University
- King’s College
- Kutztown University
- Lebanon Valley College
- Lehigh University
- Loyola University – New Orleans
- McGill University
- Millersville University
- Mount Aloysius College
- Mount St. Mary’s University
- New York University
- Northampton Community College
- Pennsylvania State University, Altoona
- Pennsylvania State University, Harrisburg
- Pennsylvania State University, Hazleton
- Pennsylvania State University, University Park
- Pennsylvania State University, York
- Pennsylvania College of Technology
- Purdue University
- Rutgers University
- Saint Vincent College
- Shippensburg University
- Saint Joseph’s University
- Saint Vincent College
- San Diego University
- Seton Hall University
- Shippensburg University
- Susquehanna University
- Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology
- United States Air Force
- University of California – Irvine
- University of California San Diego
- University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg
- University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown
- University of Rochester
- Waynesburg University
- West Chester University
- West Virginia University
- Widener University
- York College of Pennsylvania