- Curriculum includes academic, college prep, honors,
and advanced placement levels of study
- Additional college dual credit options available
in social studies, foreign language, and business
- Access to Virtual High School offering 200+ unique online courses to supplement school’s face-to-face offerings
- Current seniors’ average SAT scores well above
both state and national averages
- Current average class size is 20 and current
student/teacher ratio is 14/1
- Academic Assistance Center (AAC) serving students with documented learning challenges.
- Weekly ineligibility/failure check for
- Dedicated, certified faculty with 46% holding
an advanced degree
- Art and music programs
- Online access to homework and grades with MMS
- All students are required to carry six major subjects plus required minors such as Physical Education and Health.
- 25 credits are necessary for graduation.
- Requirements are as follows:
Religion 4.0 credits
English 4.0 credits
Science 3.0 credits
Math 3.0 credits
Social Studies 3.0 credits
Arts/Humanities 2.0 credits
Electives 5.0 credits
Physical Education 1.0 credit
In its efforts to lead students to academic achievement, the administration and faculty of York Catholic High School observes the following criteria for student participation in extra-curricular activities:
- If student fails three or more major subjects in an official marking period, he/she is ineligible to participate in any extra-curricular activities until the completion of the next marking period. Any student who fails two subjects for any quarter is ineligible until the first ineligibility list of the next quarter.
- If a student received a weekly failure report in more than one major subject, he/she is ineligible to participate in any extra-curricular activities during the upcoming week (Monday through Sunday). If at the end of the one week ineligibility period a student no longer has two or more failure reports in subject areas, he/she may resume participation in extra-curricular activities. In cases where a student continues to have two or more failure reports, his/her ineligibility is extended for the next one week period.
Average SAT Scores
|2017 School Year||Critical
|York Catholic Average||588||550|
***96% of the Class of 2017 took the SATs.
Advanced Placement Program
- Current AP Courses: Biology, Calculus, Chemistry, English Literature, and U.S. History. All students in AP courses must take the AP exam.
- Additional accelerated and honors courses are offered in English, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, and World Language.
- 98% of the students taking an AP exam scored a 3 or higher in 2016-17; 69% scored a 4 or higher; 29% scored a 5.
- Four equal marking periods.
- Numerical mark is used.
- 70 is the passing grade.
- A non-weighted GPA is based on all major subjects. All students carry a yearly and cumulative GPA based on percent grades. A weighted GPA is based on a quality point system and is calculated based on the difficulty of the courses.
F Below 70
York Catholic is a part of the Diocese of Harrisburg school system and is fully accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. In addition, York Catholic retains membership in the National Catholic Education Association and the National Association of Secondary School Principals.
The 2018 graduates of York Catholic High School received college scholarships offers totaling more than 11 million dollars. Over 74% of the Class of 2018 were awarded scholarships. The following is a list of colleges, universities, and military institutions that extended invitations of acceptance to the Class of 2018:
- Albright College
- Alvernia University
- Boston University
- California College of the Arts
- Catholic University of America
- Chestnut Hill College
- Cheyney University
- Clarion University
- Coppin State University
- Drexel University
- Duquesne University
- Eastern University
- Elizabethtown College
- Gettysburg College
- Harrisburg Area Community College
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania
- Lancaster School of Cosmetology
- Liberty University
- Lock Haven University
- Loyola University Maryland
- Lynchburg College
- Millersville University
- Monmouth University
- Mount St. Mary’s University
- Muhlenberg University
- Northampton Community College
- Pennsylvania Air National Guard
- Pennsylvania Army National Guard
- Pennsylvania College of Technology
- Pennsylvania State University, Main Campus
- Pennsylvania State University, Altoona Campus
- Pennsylvania State University, Berks Campus
- Pennsylvania State University, York Campus
- Philadelphia University
- Point Park University
- Roanoke College
- Saint Charles Borromeo Seminary
- Saint Francis University
- Saint Vincent College
- Savannah College of Art & Design
- Seton Hill University
- Shippensburg University
- St. Francis College Brooklyn
- Temple University
- Towson University
- United States Marine Corps
- United States Naval Academy
- United States Navy
- University of Alabama
- University of Louisville
- University of Nevada – Las Vegas
- University of Pittsburgh
- University of Pittsburgh-Greensburg
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University
- West Chester University
- Widener University
- Wilkes University
- York College of Pennsylvania