- Curriculum includes academic, college prep, honors,
and advanced placement levels of study
- Additional college dual credit options available
in social studies, foreign language, and business
- Access to Virtual High School offering 200+ unique online courses to supplement school’s face-to-face offerings
- Current seniors’ average SAT scores well above
both state and national averages
- Current average class size is 20 and current
student/teacher ratio is 14/1
- Academic Assistance Center (AAC) serving students with documented learning challenges.
- Weekly ineligibility/failure check for
- Dedicated, certified faculty with 46% holding
an advanced degree
- Art and music programs
- Online access to homework and grades with Vision Student Information System
- All students are required to carry six major subjects plus required minors such as Physical Education and Health.
- 25 credits are necessary for graduation.
- Requirements are as follows:
Religion 4.0 credits
English 4.0 credits
Science 3.0 credits
Math 3.0 credits
Social Studies 3.0 credits
Arts/Humanities 2.0 credits
Electives 5.0 credits
Physical Education 1.0 credit
In its efforts to lead students to academic achievement, the administration and faculty of York Catholic High School observes the following academic criteria for student participation in extra-curricular activities:
- If a student is failing in more than one major subject in a week, he/she is ineligible to participate in any extra-curricular activities or events during the upcoming week, Monday through Sunday. If by the end of the one-week ineligibility period a student continues to have two or more failing grades, his/her ineligibility is extended for the next one-week period.
- If a student fails two major subjects for any quarter and/or for the first semester, he/she will be ineligible until the first ineligibility list of the new quarter and he/she will lose cafeteria privileges for the next quarter.
- If a student fails three or more major subjects in a quarter and/or for the first semester, he/she will remain ineligible through the duration of the new quarter.
- If a student is ineligible three or more times for the duration of a school activity (marching band, musical, sports season, etc.), he/she will be removed from said activity.
Average SAT Scores
|2019 School Year||Critical
|York Catholic Average||597||570||1167|
***96% of the Class of 2019 took the SATs.
Advanced Placement Program
- Current AP Courses: Biology, Calculus, Chemistry, English Literature, and U.S. History. All students in AP courses must take the AP exam.
- Additional accelerated and honors courses are offered in English, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, and World Language.
- 98% of the students taking an AP exam scored a 3 or higher in 2018-19; 75% scored a 4 or higher; 40% scored a 5.
- Four equal marking periods.
- Numerical mark is used.
- 70 is the passing grade.
- A non-weighted GPA is based on all major subjects. All students carry a yearly and cumulative GPA based on percent grades. A weighted GPA is based on a quality point system and is calculated based on the difficulty of the courses.
F Below 70
York Catholic is a part of the Diocese of Harrisburg school system and is fully accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. In addition, York Catholic retains membership in the National Catholic Education Association and the National Association of Secondary School Principals.
The 2019 graduates of York Catholic High School received college scholarships offers totaling more than 13 million dollars. Over 71% of the Class of 2019 were awarded scholarships. The following is a list of colleges, universities, and military institutions that extended invitations of acceptance to the Class of 2019:
- Albright College
- Alvernia University
- Arizona State University – Herberger Institute for Design & the Arts
- Bloomsburg University
- Bucknell University
- California University of Pennsylvania
- Cazenovia College
- Chatham University
- Chestnut Hill College
- Christopher Newport University
- Coastal Carolina University
- Community College of Beaver County
- Duquesne University
- Eckerd College
- Edinboro University
- Elizabethtown College
- Elon University
- Florida Institute of Technology
- Franciscan University
- Gettysburg College
- Harford Community College
- Harrisburg Area Community College
- Immaculata University
- Indiana University – Bloomington
- Juniata College
- King’s College
- LaSalle University
- Loyola University Maryland
- Messiah College
- Millersville University
- Mount St. Mary’s University
- Muhlenberg University
- Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Pennsylvania State University, Main Campus
- Pennsylvania State University, York Campus
- Rutgers University
- Salisbury University
- Saint Francis University
- Saint Joseph’s University
- Saint Vincent College
- Schreiner University
- Shippensburg University
- Slippery Rock University
- Susquehanna University
- Temple University
- The Catholic University of America
- Trinity Washington University
- United States Army
- United States Marine Corps
- University of Alabama
- University of Cincinnati
- University of Maryland – Baltimore County
- University of Pennsylvania
- University of Pittsburgh
- University of Tampa
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University
- West Chester University
- Westminster College
- Widener University
- York College of Pennsylvania