Education Equity Commitment
We are all united in our desire for York Catholic to be a community that provides an inclusive environment for everyone and one that models the teachings of Catholic Social Justice. York Catholic believes in the dignity of all human persons, and the equal treatment of all people. We encourage our students, faculty, staff, and alumni to engage in personal conversation, to listen with open hearts, always strive for better understanding, and grow as a supportive community of love and respect.
As a community, we must continue to stand strong together to ensure our Catholic Christian faith and values permeate every corner, from our care for our students and their families while they are in our halls to the mandate to serve the global community, leaving it better than we found it.
During these times, we must rely on our faith in Christ and faith in each other, which unite us. We must rely on our Christian values where discrimination, injustice, violence, and hatred are sins that will not be tolerated. We must “love the Lord our God with all our heart and with all our soul and with all our mind.” And we must “love our neighbor as ourselves.” For “on these two commandments depend all the law.” (Matthew 22).
Our York Catholic Equity Committee, composed of members of the school board, administration, faculty, students, and alumni is committed to the values of equity and anti-racism at York Catholic.
We have developed the following action steps to further anti-racism and equity education and initiatives in our community.
- Provide regular and relevant professional development opportunities for administration, faculty, and staff focused on equity.
- Continue to provide opportunities for parent and student education on relevant topics to the community, including mental health, drug and alcohol, social media, equity, etc.
- Recruit people of color to all roles of leadership and instruction.
- Establish a structure to assist in improving personal communication/comfort levels for students and parents to express concerns.
- Create affinity group structures at YC for students of colors.
In addition to these initiatives, we pray for peace, equity, and anti-racism in all communities.
Grant us, Lord God, a vision of your world as your love would have it: a world where the weak are protected, and none go hungry or poor; a world where peace is built with justice, and justice is guided by love. Give us the inspiration and courage to build it, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.